Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 8: Stayed inside

We were not allowed to visit Valentin until 4:00pm.  From now on we are allowed to visit from 4:00 - 6:00.  We would much rather visit him in the morning, but what can you do?  They always tell us we will have two hours with him but they always come and get him early.  It's hard but soon enough we will get him all the time!


We decided to keep Valentin inside today.  We want so badly for him to experience the freedom of being outside but our first priority here is to bond with him and help him learn to trust us.  Our goal is to get him out of that darn stroller and sitting with us and playing around, and we just cannot do that outside because he is too focused on the other kids and there are just too many watchful eyes on us, so inside it was.  They left us alone in the room and said they would only come if they heard him cry...thank you, finally!  He was a little freaked out by the room and we knew if we tried to hold him again he would cry and the nannies would come so today we just got him used to the room, then tomorrow we will unbuckle him and see what happens.  Towards the end of our visit he dropped his book and really showed interest in getting out of the stroller to get it, that was a great sign since before he only felt secure when IN the stroller.  Baby steps.






We showed him Baby Signing Time videos on the iPad and he LOVED it!!!  We also found out he is ticklish...so stinkin cute!




I cannot go another day without thanking all of you again for your prayers, emails, comments, and encouragement!  It would be very easy for us to get frustrated, lonely, and depressed here...VERY easy.  But God has been so good to give us that peace that passes all understanding.  And the faithful prayers being said for us have had a huge impact.  We feel those prayers guys!!!!  And we need them, desperately!  I know how easy it would be for all of you to get tired of reading our blog and praying for us, yet you keep on...and we keep on.  I wish I had more then a simple thank you.


Just to let you all know what is going on, we will probably not be blogging for a few days.  We will visit Valentin at 4:00.  By the time we get back, eat dinner, FaceTime the kids, and get pictures and video downloaded we are spent so probably no blog tonight.  Then tomorrow (Thursday 4/26) we are taking the day train back to the capitol for an afternoon official appointment (hopefully I can share why in a couple of days) then an overnight train back to Valentin's region and another busy day on Friday.  Hopefully I can get everything caught up on Saturday.


Just a quick prayer request too, Tyler can leave on Saturday to return to work and come back for our court hearing (we estimate will be 5/15) but there are two very big holidays happening in the next two weeks here and our travel agent cannot find one single seat on any flights out of here until next Tuesday.  Tyler only has a certain amount of time off work and he is going to need it to come back for court and then to come back again to help me get home.  It is what it is and we surrender it to God but would appreciate prayers that something comes up and he can get out of here sooner (not that I want to be rid of him by any means).  Thanks!


And some of you have asked when we think we will be home.  IF (and it's a big if) things can get done by the facilitation team to speed up some paperwork stuff before this big holiday and IF everything goes according to plan we should be able to come home 6/6.  Yes that is June 6th.  That means I will be here 50 days.  50 days without my family...I can't even think about it too much or I will completely break down.  I am going to need continued prayers everyone.  On a positive note I made up my mind before we even left that I was going to take this time of no chores and no kids to really focus on my bible study and time with the Lord.  When else will I have this much time to myself?  Don't get me wrong I would much rather be with my family, but maybe God wants this to be a time with Him and that is what I intent to do.  He is so worthy and He is so good!

17 comments:

  1. Sending prayers your way. We were in your country for 49 days when we adopted and it is mentally tough! I remember the watchful eyes on us constantly and how difficult it was to get quality bonding time as everyone was there to constantly disrupt our time. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are flights from Kiev to Helsinki, Finland every sunday ( and tuesday and thursday), and one through Tallin, Estonia on Saturdays, those should have room? And from Helsinki, I'm sure you can find flights, either straight to US or connecting through other European cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, I look forward to your posts, pictures and updates! You are just beginning your journey and sounds like getting through some potential hurdles quickly so keep up the faith! Your time and observations w/ your son are more valuable than you know right now. You will look back on it and realize things you don't right now. So soak up every minute, every movement of the staff to help you realize more and more about your son. You have a right to feel upset about the length of time but remember in the end it will all be worth it. And I commend you so much for your goals of trying to build his trust in you all. To take him from that comfort of not just his stroller but the whole building into bustling airports and loud cities he is going to need your safe arms of trust - keep at it! Know there is an army of prayer soldiers here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following your blog the last few months and I've enjoyed reading your recent daily updates. You're in my prayers each morning, and I'll be praying for you these coming weeks. Use this special time to bond with Valentin and grow closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blog for quite some time and I just wanted to know that you and your family are in my prayers! Thank you so much for sharing yoru journey. My husband and I are wanting to adopt internationally and your blog has been such a blessing and wonderful resource for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Another appointment :-) Will you bring home one more darling child along with Valentin?

    I understand it must be hard to separated from your family for so long, but I believe it will do wonders for getting to knowing Valentin and to bond with him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful to see him smile! I'm happy I got to begin my day with this sight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HE WILL CARRY YOU. So blessed by the video of Valentin being tickled; what a sweetie! I have faith that God is going to do big things with this boy. He is worth this hard road! Praying for strength, peace, and joy during this journey. Blessings from California.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following your blog for a couple of months. Love what God is doing in your lives and in Valentin's life.
    The videos are so cute of him.
    Praying that the next month+ allows Valentin to really blossom and trust you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending prayers and hugs...love the tickles and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much for updating your blog. very grateful to see the progression. you are doing sooo well at this process. keep focusing on the positive, it will only help you all. again, thank you for all the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your family is in my prayers daily. I can't thank you enough for sharing this journey with all of us. The video of Valentin getting tickled brought tears to my eyes. And I hope all of the travel issues get worked out.

    May God continue to bless and keep you and shine his light on you. Valentin is so beautiful...what a gift of a human being.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. In constant prayer for you and your family!! Love ya guys! If you ever need anything that I can do, just holler

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog from The Reeds' blog, and am so glad Christine shared it with all her followers. Your story has touched me deeply. Valentin is beautiful. I will be praying for all of you as you go through the next several months together, growing closer and building bonds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for your visits and for Valentin to learn to trust.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness...I don't have much time to read blogs these days. Brought our own sweet boy home just one month ago today! But I can't believe I've been missing your trip...I got all caught up tonight. Isn't it awesome, the LOVE God puts in your heart for this little one? Valentin is amazing....so are you!

    ReplyDelete