Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 12: Some BIG BIG news

We are safe back in Valentin's region.  I have been promising to explain to you all why we had to go back to the capitol for an official appointment so I will get right to it.


It started over a month ago when we started considering adopting more then just Valentin on this trip.  It really had not occurred to us to do so but we just could not ignore the fact that so many children need homes.  We again started seeking God's guidance.  And in His perfect timing we heard about "Joey".  If you have read this blog you know the struggle we had with whether or not to adopt Valentin and how much we agonized over that decision.  Now here we were thinking about 2???  Are we crazy???  I am sure that is what some of you are thinking now.  Well, we prayed and discussed it and it really did make a lot of sense to adopt two.  This would probably be the last international adoption we could both travel for without splitting the kids up (or being able to leave at all) plus it is FAR less expensive to add a second child to one trip rather then coming home and doing it all over again later.  So in the end we decided to leave it all in God's hands.  So we sent a request to meet Joey and decided to just see how it would go after we met him and Valentin and let God either open or close that door.


So we arrived in country and thought we would be able to see both boys files at the same appointment.  But they told us there was a problem with Joey's paperwork and we would have to come back the next week.  Hence, the second trip to the capitol.  We thought maybe this was God shutting the door.  Having this second appointment was adding more time to our stay and adding more expenses we did not budget for.  We started to question what we were doing.  The appointment came and we were told that he had just become available for international adoption THAT DAY.  That's what I call God opening a door!!!


So today we got to meet sweet little Joey!  We had very little info on him other then he had Cerebral Palsy and did not know what to expect.  He was once at the same orphanage Valentin is in but in September 2011 he was moved to a boarding school, praise God!  When kids 'age out' of the baby house orphanages at 5 or 6 they either go to school type orphanages or to mental institutions.  What a difference between the baby house Valentin is at and the boarding school.  I don't think the little kids at Valentin's orphanage understand adoption much so they don't think all visitors could be their mom or dad.  Very different at the boarding school.  All the boys, dressed in their school uniforms, met us at the entrance.  I don't know if this was a show for us made by the staff or if these boys were coming down hoping they would be picked.  I got the sense as they made deep eye contact with me that they longed in their heart and knew exactly what was going on.  I almost can't bear it, my heart has not stopped hurting.


They took us in a room with the Assistant Director, the Psychologist, the Doctor, and his teacher and we discussed his medical needs, behavior, etc.  They are not sure he has CP but said he had "spinal birth trauma" and is diagnosed as mild developmental delay.


And then they brought him in and we knew in an instant, yes, this is our son.  God gave us great assurance of that!  He came to me and I said "pree-vyet" (hi) and he responded the same.  I asked "kak di-la?" (how are you) and he assured me "ha-ra-sho" (good).  He was watching me take notes and asked what I was doing.  He wanted to show off his new mad writing skills.  It was explained that since coming to the boarding school he has made huge strides in development.  Whereas he was probably left in a crib with no teaching at the baby house, he is blossoming with now having a teacher.  His teacher was very proud of how much he could do and the progress he has made.  He drew his lines and circles for us very well and showed us how he knows all his colors.


They left us alone to play with him and it was as if we were already family!  We had a great time playing!  When our facilitator came back in she asked our decision...a million times yes!  We asked her to please ask him in Russian if he would like to come home with us.  We held our breath for his answer..."Da" (yes)!  She asked him if he wanted us to be his mama and papa..."Da" said with a smile and hugs!  I am crying still!


So now to introduce our new son:








He was so excited by the toys we brought


I mean REALLY excited


Showing them off


The staff really wanted us to see how far he has come so they brought out the contraction paper balloons and had him match the string color to the balloon.  He did so well.

He is so obedient to everything they say, and it is not a fear type obedience.  He just seems to have a very kind and gentle personality...with the energy of the tasmanian devil :)









So for the next few days we (or just me when Tyler leaves) will be meeting the boys separately until the director of Joey's orphanage gives us permission to take him with us just a block away to Valentin's orphanage and I can meet with them together.  Honestly I think this is really going to help with bonding with Valentin because he will have a brother who shares his language and as Valentin see's Joey interacting with me I think he will become more comfortable with the idea.


Oh, and by the way we asked our kids at home if it would be ok to have two new brothers and they thought that was cool...such amazing kids!

43 comments:

  1. So, so happy for you. God is pouring out His blessings on your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy for you all!! Two new sons is a great blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did NOT see this coming and I am so incredibly thrilled for you ... your kids at home ... and your new beautiful sons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so happy for all of you ! God is so good when we listen :) :)
    Hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAYAYAY!! I knew you would :D You have such a soft heart Jamie :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful!!! God is GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so happy to see Joey on the MFFM page today... and now to see where he is going! So glad you chose him too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I was not expecting that. That is totally awesome.
    He looks like such a sweet, cute little boy.
    Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very exciting news indeed! My heart is just melting for both boys! So happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Amazing story!!! Can't wait to see the brothers together. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SMART boy! You are so blessed, and he is too! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great news! Congratulations! Joey seems to be such an adorable little boy too - what a blessing he will be to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crying over here!!!! And SO happy for him and for you all. We love you guys!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is adorable! And well behaved as well. With the water bottle he was asking you to open it, and when you said no, he asked if he could open it himself. And when you said no, he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for translating! I feel so bad not being able to understand him :( Feel free to comment on what he is saying anytime :)

      Delete
  15. Many many months ago I noticed two little boys on Reece’s Rainbow and something really struck a chord with me. They were named Valentin and Joey. Unfortunately I am not in a position to adopt myself (yet!) and here in the UK international adoption, I am led to believe, is made difficult. Anyway I told myself that I would pray and pray for these two boys. Since then I have followed Valentin’s journey (checking your blog every day!) and my heart has been rejoicing these last few days at your bonding with him. However I have never stopped praying for little Joey to find his family. I cannot describe how I felt today reading this post!! I am sure sure sure that He meant for these two little ones to be brothers! This was His plan all along! You and your family are wonderful people and an example to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such heros in my eyes and so so inspirational! I wish you all of the luck in the world, Joey and Valentin are both so delightful! I hope (Well I know) I will follow in your footsteps one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YEAH !! He is one of "my" kids - congratulations to you all !!
    (www.zerothezeros.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! Super excited for you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! This is amazing for you all...so awesome that the boys are so close together too...HUGE surprise, thanks for sharing your wonderful news and newest addition!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slava bogu! Happy tears! What another amazing boy! God bless your continued journey to bring them home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jamie, this is such wonderful news to hear! Praise God! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    My co-workers from TEAMworks and I are praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY! It totally makes sense to bring home two in one trip! He is so sweet..and looks so excited to have a mom and Dad! So excited for you. Our province doesn't allow more than 1 "placement" for adoption in a 12 month period...which is odd because as foster parents they would gladly give us 12 kids in a one month period to take care of as foster parents, but as soon as we start adopting they have "rules to promote bonding time".

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first time you mentioned you were going back to the capitol I wondered if this might be the reason! You two are truly inspirational for all of us. I hope this will help transition both boys to home. I'm so very, very happy for you and the boys and please do post if you will need additional funds or how you will be able to manage things at home (recalling the post where all four children were going to share a room).

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful news!!! I cried tears of joy through this post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing, and he is just perfect!! Love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful news!!! He looks delightful! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a blessing!!!! So happy for your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is wonderful news! I've been following your blog since February, and I'm crying happily into my cup of coffee. I've been praying for Valentin's transition into your family, and now I get to add Joey. Many blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was so happy to see this wonderful news yesterday! Dancing!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats! On a side note, please stay safe! Just saw on the international news about the 4 terrorist attacks in the far eastern part of the country a few days ago. Don't know what part of the country your in but PLEASE stay aware of your surroundings at all times, especially when traveling. Prayers coming your way for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats! You have two beautiful new boys.

    I would be very careful taking Joey back to his old orphanage. This is such a confusing and scary time for him in general. For all he knows you are the original mom and dad that left him in the baby home the first time. How does he know you won't leave him there again? I just cringe a little at the extra amount of confusion and emotion he will go through by you having him visit his old orphanage during this process. I would expect his behavior to worsen significantly during the visits to the old orphange.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful news. The boys are both adorable and it is so nice they have a family. Congratulation. Praying for you

    ReplyDelete